Thursday, October 9, 2008

one day till meeting with surgeon

I'm meeting with Dr L tomorrow. I was initially concerned about the fact that he's only been specialising in this surgery for about 1 year, but, I think in the end it wont impact on my decision (from my research, he is a highly skilled surgeon who has been specialising in gastrointestinal for quite some time, if not this specific procedure).

The information and attention I have received from his support staff so far (especially his practice manager Shirley) have been amazing. They seem to run a very 'whole package' surgery option, with dietician, Psychologist and exercise physiology sessions (2 of each I think) included in his surgery fee and are mandatory, which is an approach that feels right for me. They also run a monthly support group meeting, supervised by their Psychologist, that I attended, which was very helpful.

I am going to meet with at least one other surgeon (possibly 2) and I know that many people prefer to go with a surgeon who has done hundreds of a specific procedure, but I think I'll go with my (bad pun alert) gut feeling.

No comments: